Glenfarclas 10 Year Old 40% vol
You Save: £5.00
A straw-gold , delicately light, sweet and malty, leaving a long slightly spicy finish.
The story of the Glenfarclas Grants, started in 1805, when John Grant, the present Chairman’s great-great grandfather, was born on the farm of Lynbeg, at Glenlivet, in the heart of Speyside. John Grant became a highly successful farmer, owning several farms in the area and breeding champion Aberdeen Angus cattle. He lived at Blairfindy Farm, just two miles from his birthplace, and married Barbara Grant in 1827. They had six children, including a son called George, born in 1830. So it was only natural for him to be interested in the Rechlerich Farm, on the Ballindalloch Estate, when it became vacant in 1865. Rechlerich Farm was also renowned in the area for the Glenfarclas Distillery, established in 1836 by the previous tenant farmer Robert Hay. When John Grant signed the tenancy agreement in 1865, he purchased the distillery for £511.19s.0d. He remained at Blairfindy and sent his son George, to look after Rechlerich Farm, whilst the distillery was sub-let to John Smith, a descendent of John Grant’s great uncle, for five years. Nestled in fertile grassland, the farm proved an ideal halfway staging post for cattle being driven between the many farms in Glenlivet, and the market in Elgin. The drovers would stop and water their cattle at the farm, rest their weary feet and enjoy the restorative powers of a dram or two of Glenfarclas Single Malt Whisky. In 1870, John Smith left to build Cragganmore distillery and John Grant took his son into partnership. This was also the year that George married his cousin Elsie Gordon, and they went on to have five children, including two sons called John and George. In 1889, John Grant died, leaving George to run both the distillery and the farm. Sadly, a year later George also passed away, leaving the license to his widow and his two eldest sons, John and George. They later formed the Glenfarclas-Glenlivet distillery company, with Pattisons of Leith, and held a 50% share. Unfortunately, it proved to be a troublesome partnership, and eventually collapsed. This left John and George in a predicament, but in true Grant family style they were not disheartened, and formed their own company, J. & G. Grant. By 1914, after many years of hard work, family commitment and shrewd accounting, the future of Glenfarclas was secure in the hands of the Grant family. However, John Grant retired in this year due to ill health, and his brother George continued as sole partner. In 1921, George married Jessie Stuart Scott and they had two sons, George Scott Grant, and John Peter Grant. During the Second World War, both sons served in the forces, George in the RNVR, and John with the Gordon Highlanders and First African Rifles. After they were de-mobbed, their father held a party in Elgin, in 1948, to celebrate the distillery’s supposed centenary, his Silver Wedding Anniversary and his sons 21st Birthdays, all of which had taken place during the War. At this time, it was thought that Glenfarclas was established in 1845, subsequently it was discovered that it was first licensed in 1836. 1949 saw the death of George Grant senior, and the marriage of his son George S. Grant, to Catherine. They went on to have three children, including a son, John L.S. Grant, who joined Glenfarclas in 1973. George S. Grant retired in 2001, after 52 years as Chairman, and sadly passed away in 2002, John L.S. Grant succeeded his father as Chairman. John L.S. Grant also has a son, George, who was born in 1976, and represents the sixth generation of the Grant family. He too, has joined the company and looks set to continue the legacy of his forefathers( Region: Speyside Bottler: G & J Grant)
Please log in to write a review.